What is a Partition Action?

As a business law firm, we often deal with partnership disputes.  We have shared information on our blog on how to protect against partnership disputes, as well as tips for solving them such disputes.  Unfortunately, not all disputes can be prevented or solved.  In these circumstances, partnerships often dissolve. When that is the case, , and a partition action may be necessary to distribute partnership assets.

In a partition action, known as a partition of partnership property, a court is asked to divide partnership property equally between amongst interested parties. The guidelines for distributing assets in a partition action are set out in California Code of Civil Procedure section 872.010, et seq.  Although most partition actions involve real estate, but the laws of partition actions can be applied to distributing any type of partnership property, such as manufacturing equipment. Specifically, this type of action would be referred to as an action for partition of partnership property.

If a partner wants to file for a partition action, he or she will have to file a complaint with the court seeking a partition action is initiated like any other legal dispute, meaning that the partner would file a complaint in the appropriate court alleging a cause of action for partition of partnership property.  When the action involves real property, the plaintiff will shall also have to record a notice of pendency of the action, called a ““lis pendens,” in the office of with the county recorder of each county in which any real property described in the complaint is located.  Once recorded, the party should file a Notice of Lis Pendens with the court. This will prevent the other partner from selling or taking loans out on the property by putting buyers and lenders on notice of the pending action.

In general, a court will allow a partition unless it is against the interest of the parties. To determine whether the partition is in the best interest of the parties, the court will consider the character of the property and expenses associated with the partition.

If a court finds that a partition is in the best interest of the parties, it will usually order that the business or property be sold and the proceeds be divided amongst the partners. However, sometimes the parties are able to come to a partition settlement agreement, and the court will merely issue a judgment so that the agreement will be enforced.

If you have questions about partition actions or partnership disputes, consult an experienced attorney. Ezer Williamson Law provides a wide range of both transactional and litigation services to individuals and businesses. We have successfully prosecuted and defended various types of business, commercial and real property claims. Contact us at (310) 277-7747 to see how we can help you.

Comments are closed.