Obtaining a Variance to a Zoning Restriction

In order to build a development, home, or addition that does not comply with local zoning ordinances or restrictions, a property owner or developer must obtain a variance. The exact process of obtaining a variance will vary based on applicable city or county laws, and can vary depending on the scope of the project and the type of variance sought.

For example, there could be different processes or requirements for “residential use” variances versus “residential area” variances.  Generally speaking, there are two types of variances: an “area variance” and a “use variance.” An area variance can be requested by a property owner or developer who is seeking an exception to a regulation dealing with land configuration or physical structure improvements.  A use variance, on the other hand, seeks an exception to the type of use of land permitted by a zoning ordinance or restriction.

Similarly, the process or requirements for residential variances differ as compared to variances for agricultural, industrial, recreational, or commercial property.  Once you have determined the type of variance you will need, the next step will be to contact the local city or county government office that handles development in the area where the property is located.  The local government office will usually have an application that must be completed, and typically require copies of relevant site plans, floor plans, and elevation drawings, as well as the payment of any fees associated with application submission.  Once complete, a city board will review your application and may require public hearings on the application.  If the variance request is denied, there is generally an appeals process.

If you have questions about obtaining a variance, consult an experienced attorney. Ezer Williamson Law provides a wide range of both transactional and litigation services to individuals and businesses. We have successfully prosecuted and defended various types of business, real estate, construction and property claims. Contact us at (310) 277-7747 to see how we can help you with your business, real estate or construction law needs.

Comments are closed.